Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ribbon Flower Tutorial

Hi there.  It's Ginny here with a tutorial for a beautiful ribbon flower using ribbon from
Really Reasonable Ribbon.
 First here's a finished project that
I used the flower on.
 

 I received this lovely gray ribbon from Bonnie in the August Ribbon Club Assortment and wanted to make a flower with a flat back for my cards and projects...the only catch is that it was not wired edge...which you would typically make a twisted and rolled flower from. So I developed a technique to give my flowers all the layers and texture...and would be easy to adhere to my projects.
 

The first step is to cut a generous amount of trim 9-12 inches long and pin or pinch in half. I found it just as easy to hold it and snip being careful not to clip all the way through the ribbon. I choose an opaque ribbon for this project...will have to try a sheer ribbon next time.
 

Once you have all the snips cut for the full length of your ribbon...twist and tape one end to work like a "shoe lace". Starting at the top...thread the ribbon through the cut hole. continue threading until you reach the end of the ribbon.
 

Cut yourself a little scrap of file folder to adhere the flower to and using hot glue...attach the end of the trim to the center of the scrap. Twist and glue as you move down the length of the trim. I like the texture of the little frayed bits...but you may choose to clip them off as you go along. Once you get to the last 1/4 inch or so..trim the folder around the flower until it no longer shows and wind the end of the ribbon to the back and glue in place.
 

Add some sweet little pearly accents to embellish the flower. These pearls had adhesive meant for paper...so I added just a bit of the hot glue to keep them permanently affixed.
 

Once you get the hang of making these pretty flowers you will find that they're the perfect "busy work" to do when your feeling productive...but not so much creative. I just make several of them in different colors to have on hand as just the right finishing touch for my projects. Now you can make flowers from all your beautiful trims from Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Thanks to Bonnie for asking me to be the Guest Designer for August. I can't believe it's went by so fast. I had so much fun joining the super talented design team to share my projects with all of you.
Huggs...Ginny

2 comments :

  1. Thank you and what a great tutorial and a fab ides too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea! I just love that grey ribbon. cherry

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say