Tuesday, November 22, 2011

All Puffed Up!

Goodness! From the title it sounds like I might be talking about our neighborhood turkeys! We have anywhere from 8-20 turkeys roaming the neighborhood in the fall and winter. I think they are in hiding until Thanksgiving is over! November is quickly zooming by and 2012 will be here before you know it! 


I love wide ribbon! Sometimes I can't fit it into my design, and then have to choose a smaller width, but today's project incorporates one of my favorites: the 1.5 inch Black Gingham Ribbon:

Today I want to share a quick, little tutorial with you showing the way that I "puff up" my ribbon. I learned this from a friend awhile back, and I am sure there are other, and maybe even easier ways to do it, but this is how I do it!


First you will need a little handful of batting, some linen thread, and your ribbon of choice:

Tie off a section at the end, leaving room to fold under a layer of cardstock:

 Next, tie off a section with the thread and fill with a tiny bit of batting:
 Continue to tie and fill until you have as many "puffs" as you would like:
You can tack the openings shut with thread, or leave them open. One option for additional decoration is to add another contrasting ribbon or bow. Here I used Black Grosgrain with a white stitched edge:
Trim your thread ends, and cover the thread with pearls or another embellishment, or more contrasting ribbon all down the puffed piece. Fold the ends underneath a cardstock layer. All done!


Designer paper is the Mariposa Stack by DCWV. The sentiment is Word Art from TLC Creations. For more info and a close up, please also visit my blog, Joy in a JAR.  
Thanks for stopping by today!

10 comments :

  1. very pretty...love this technique and am definitely going to try it on one of my cards soon! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Will try this!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool this is, what a great idea :-) Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Great idea, and gorgeous card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! amazing inspiration! thanx for this cool idea!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought of that idea, very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fun Idea! thanks for sharing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Wow this is fantastic love your idea its so nice and different, :) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH I am SO trying that this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Your card is so lovely and I think this is such a cute technique for ribbon. Thank you for sharing the how tos! :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say